Libraries & Archives
Calling all teachers!
Inspire a lifetime love of reading, learning and discovery in your students!
NEW! Local History Loan Boxes
Bring local history to life in the classroom and inspire students to become active historians!
Items within each box are multi-sensory and aim to immerse primary school children in their discovery about local history, breathing life into their units of work and creating memorable classroom experiences for all.
Each box contains replica artefacts alongside a range of photographs, maps and unique materials from our extensive Archives collection.
Teaching ideas designed to utilise the resources in each box are also provided and these can easily be differentiated for different year levels.
- Victorian School Days
- A Victorian Seaside
- Wartime Living (An Evacuee’s Experience)
- Fishing for History (Grimsby’s Fishing Heritage)
The themes above are not an exhaustive list. If there is a topic not covered, we may still be able to provide you with a loan – just ask!
Arrange a class visit to a Lincs Inspire Library and develop pupils’ joy of books and more. Our branches include Cleethorpes, Grimsby, Immingham and Waltham.
We can also arrange a visit to your primary school (charges may apply).
- Introduce the library and the different resources available
- Have a story and/or poetry read linked to topics being studied in school
- Encourage reading independently and for pleasure
- Browse resources from the Grimsby Local History Library, including family history and information about the area around or near your school
- Receive a demonstration of our online services, including eLibrary and eAudio
Visits are tailored to the year group and can include elements of your syllabus at that time.
Discover the treasure in our archives! North East Lincolnshire Archives within Grimsby Town Hall has a large collection of resources relating to the history of the area, including:
- School Records
- Building Plans
We can also arrange a visit to your school (charges may apply).
Incorporate a local perspective into your secondary school lesson planning and teachings about the topic of the First World War.
Our Education Pack is full of resources that tell the story of local boys and men who were taken to a civilian internment camp called Ruhleben on the outskirts of Berlin during World War One.
With teaching notes, artefacts from our local history library, first-hand accounts of life in the camp – this resource gives a unique local perspective supporting your history curriculum.
- Oral history recordings of ancestors of camp detainees
- A DVD and script of a theatre production about life in the camp
- A reproduction of one of the camp’s magazines
- Photographs and images of Ruhleben camp
- Copies of letters sent home from a camp detainee
Support your pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) with Lincs Inspire Libraries’ collection of books chosen by children, adults, parents, carers and professionals.
Transparent Language Online
A fun, effective, and engaging experience for learners of all levels looking to build their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in a foreign language.
With over 110 languages to choose from, including English for speakers of over 30 languages, there is something for every learner.
Learners can access for free via the Lincs Inspire Libraries’ App with their library login details.
Lincs Inspire Libraries have teamed up with the Book Trust to offer children aged up to four years free books to help develop a lifelong love of reading. Bookstart packs are magical! They are full of books, tips and ideas for parents and carers.
The content of the Bookstart Baby Pack has been carefully chosen to include everything parents and carers need to get started with sharing stories, rhymes and songs with their babies.
- Bookstart Shine for children who are deaf
- Bookstart Touch for children who are blind or partially sighted
- Bookstart Star for children with conditions affecting their fine motor skills
Packs are available from our library branches – please email email@example.com